Saturday, August 23, 2008

satan's lair?

Last night, I had a few errands to run and my precious husband and daughter graciously tagged along. We went to two of David's favorite places ever: Toys R' Us and Michael's.

In Toys R' Us, David patiently walked behind Avery and I as we "oohed and ahhed" over all the fun, girly toys. He didn't even complain when I took a little longer than necessary while choosing the perfect birthday gift for our little friend Carter.

On the way to Michael's, however, I noticed that his patience (and overall demeanor) began to fade. I lovingly asked him, "Why the long face, my dear?" (or something like that), fully expecting him to blame his mood on hunger or some such man-nonsense.

I wasn't expecting him to blame his ill mood on a craft store of all places. Craft stores are the places where imagination is born. Craft stores represent creativity, art, and all that is right with the world. Craft stores make my heart feel happy. How could anyone be sad to go into Michael's?

That's when David said something shocking. He actually said to me that Michael's is a guy's version of Hell. To which I responded with something sympathetic and super-Christiany like, "Oh. Come on, now".

We went in anyway, of course.

Come to think of it, I have noticed in the past that if we are there too long his eyes start to bleed a little... Huh...

I guess it was a good thing that I made last night's trip a quick one. Eye-bleeding is just plain gross. Plus, the scary, Satanic-looking, Halloween decorations that were on display were kind of helping to prove his point. I thought that Avery was going to strangle me with her death grip of terror every time we went near the life-sized talking ghoul. Yikes.

Whatever. I still like Michael's.

3 comments:

Southern Mama said...

So , so funny. Mae was the same way with Walgreen's. She was terrified of all the halloween stuff. She wouldn't even walk down an aisle if it had anything goulish!!! Brings back fond memories. Talk about sad!

Jackie said...

The things our men do for us!

I could literally spend HOURS in that store, especially around Christmas time. And I am STILL not a fan of the creepy Halloween stuff, even though I'm all grown-up. :)

Kristen said...

I miss Michael's!!! We don't have one here, and I wish we did. Enjoy some EXTRA time in there for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails