Sunday, December 21, 2008

life. love. coffee.

Greetings from Newborn Mommy World!

I'm still here (at least physically - mentally, not-so-much) and surviving on the Newborn Mommy Diet: caffeine, caffeine and more...caffeine.

I'm currently on my second cup of coffee, which means that I may actually be coherent for a few moments. I thought I'd take advantage of the caffeine high and attempt to type something that may actually sound close to intelligent.

Notice I said, "close".

I'd better hurry, though... the effects of caffeine aren't as strong as they should be when you get less than 4 hours of sleep a night.

Mommy Memory is a funny thing. It seems that you never quite remember the "trials" of parenthood as clearly as they actually occurred.

I remember feeling tired and stressed when Avery was a newborn, but I'm realizing now that the memory of that kind of exhaustion is much kinder and gentler than the reality of that kind of exhaustion.

I am tired.
Don't get me wrong - I'm blissfully tired.
I'm totally thankful to be tired.
But I'm tired.
I'm really tired.

Although it feels a little like one reaaaaallly long day since Charlie was born, it's actually been 4 WEEKS! I can't believe it!

Charlie is growing and changing every day. Can I just tell you how crazy it is that he looks just like his daddy? He's his little clone. It's like I had nothing to do with his conception at all. Slightly unfair. Since I was the one hoovering over the toilet for 14 weeks.

I'm so pleased with the way Avery has adjusted to life with her new brother. She has been surprisingly gentle and loving to him over the last couple of weeks and seems to be ok with the fact that Charlie will be living at our house from now on. She has her moments, but she's 2.

Avery and I are go, go, goers normally. The last few weeks have definitely been an adjustment for us. We try to get out of the house for a little while every day, but it's much harder than I thought it would be to take a newborn and a 2-year-old out by myself. Usually, we end up waiting for Daddy to come home before we go anywhere.

The other night, David and I used a gift card and went out to dinner. We dropped Avery off with her grandmother and we took Charlie with us.

This is why newborns rock:

He may not sleep at night, but he WILL sleep right through dinner.
Knowing that In a few months this will NOT be possible, I'm taking full advantage!

6 comments:

maribeth said...

so true, josh and i recently went to j.alexander's while my parents kept our kids. he asked me when the last time i had been there was-roughly 4 years ago, when carter was the newborn who slept through dinner!

Jackie said...

"Blissfully tired"...I love that! He is the most perfect reason you could have for being tired...just LOOK at that sweet sleeping face. You are so very blessed. :)

Tracey said...

I totally share your feelings on "tired" and "coffee"...Sam is only 2 weeks old.

misty said...

i know what you are talkinga bout -adding another kid to an adventure out is MAJOR stuff!
i keep my niece 3 days a week & it was hard adjusting her into our schedule of me & the boys.
2 kids is all i can handle on my own!!!
i hope you get some long & peacful rest soon.
merry christmas

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

He is beautiful! I hope you get some more rest soon... I remember those days. Some days are just insanely tired, but it's amazing how God gives us the strenth we need to make it. :)

Colored With Memories said...

Sleep deprivation is such a mean thing!

he is soooooo cute though...even 17 months later i STILL chose my younger daughter to take out to dinner if i have the choice of getting a sitter for one! she talks less!

Related Posts with Thumbnails