Wednesday, December 10, 2008

garland show and tell


Ta Da!

I had so much fun doing this. I went to Nester's blog and then to Kimba's blog and read up on how to make a wimpy garland into a big, bad, fabulous one...then I got to work.

Every thing I used in my garland was at least half off at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I think I probably ended up spending $30 at the most, but that was because I didn't have any random garland sprays or extra ornaments hanging around the house that I could re-purpose.

Kimba and Nester have really great, detailed tutorials on their blogs, so be sure to check out their sites for instructions on how to do one for yourself.

Here's my Garland Table Of Contents:
2 wimpy garlands
3 berry sprays
2 large red berry sprays
3 pine cone and pine needle sprays
1 box of small green ornaments
1 box of larger red ornaments
2 larger pine needle sprays
a few branches from our live Christmas tree
3 artificial hydrangea stems
5 gold rattan balls
a glue gun
floral picks (with wire attached)


A little tip I learned for stretching out what you have - I took floral scissors and took every spray apart. After taking them apart, I hot glued the smaller pieces into various places in the garland. If you spread the sprays out, your garland looks less sparse.

Another tip I learned: using real leaves, pine cones, etc. saves a ton of money and adds a realistic look to the garland.

Warning: Once you start filling your garland, it's tough to stop! I kept thinking about more and more things to add to mine.

Check out Nester's blog today to view other garlands. :-)



20 comments:

kris said...

lovely job, girl!! i want to do this next year! i a your rejected banner on my china cabinet, there's a pic on the website :D

Anonymous said...

I love your garland! I am always wondering what to do above my kitchen cabinets besides lights and this is perfect. Hope you don't mind, I am stealing your idea!! I found your site from Nester's.

Rach@In His Hands said...

Jen, this is fabulous!! I love the hydrangeas in there! So pretty.

Erika said...

Oh I love the Hydrangea! We have a bush that is being taken over by vines, no matter how diligent I am about weeding them, and it's just breaking my heart!

The Writer Chic said...

You did such a fabulous job! I love everything about this!

The Nester said...

you did good!

great combo and I love the glass balls!

maribeth said...

it is beautiful!! and, i love, love, love the hydrangeas!

SarahHub said...

That's beautiful! So festive!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Great job! I love the hydrangeas! You sure did a great job with your list of supplies!

Sonya @ Balentine Bliss said...

Hydrangeas make it perfect!

Unknown said...

i've been looking at blog after blog from the nesters link, and this is officially the first cute thing i've seen!

The Style Sisters said...

Very nice garland. Love all the ornaments in it.

leah said...

love the garland!! Great job!

Woman Interrupted said...

Beautiful job on your garland!! Check out my $5 garland!

misty said...

i need help making one - will you come help me?!?!
everything you make is SO GOOD... you've got talent!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Looks lovely! I really love the red and green bulbs in there.

Jackie said...

This is unbelievable, Jennifer...you totally outdid yourself on this one! My very wimpy one is sitting on top of my entertainment center and I am embarrassed to post a pic of it now :)

Unknown said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS! I love how FULL and luscious it is! The colors are perfect! GREAT job!

Colored With Memories said...

a big bad garland indeed! love it...and you are so funny!

Taina said...

I love it! I think my favourite is the hydrangeas. It is so unexpected but beautiful at the same time! Great Job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails