Tuesday, July 1, 2008

book club, boundaries, and pickle juice

My book club met last night to discuss our June Book Love the One You're With, by Emily Giffin. I have to say, this book was a little controversial. If it came with a rating like the movies do, I would definitely say it would be rated PG-13 for subject matter. The book opened up some great conversation within our group about the importance of communication in marriage and creating boundaries within relationships. Emily Giffin really is a great writer. I would never have chosen to read this book on my own, but I really like the fact that it prompted me to really evaluate my relationships and standards. It made my "baby brain" have to work a little bit. That's a good thing!

We ate at Sauces , a restaurant downtown. Super-cool atmosphere, but the food was just kind of mediocre. Kind of disappointing. Maybe if I had had their specialty Mojito, I might have felt differently! Sadly, however, babies and Mojitos just don't mix. Since I had tough time deciding what to order, I decided to go with one of their recommended entrees: crab cakes with remoulade sauce. Sounds yummy, right? That's what I thought too. Hmm... not-so-much. The last time a had crab cakes, I got them at Paulette's, so maybe it's not such a fair comparison! I think that the other girls enjoyed their food more than I did, but then again, THEY were able to sample the Mojitos! You would think that being preggo, I wouldn't be so choosy about my food, but I gotta tell you, I wasn't digging it.

Instead, I ate some of my food and went home to indulge in my new favorite obsession:

Yes, that IS a jar of pickles you see. I know, I know... soooo cliche, right? At least I don't follow it up with ice cream!
My new love isn't just any old jar of pickles, it's the creme de la creme of pickles: Claussen Kosher Dills. I have quite the discriminating palate when it comes to pickles!

So -you might be saying to yourself: "Hmm.. that the jar is completely devoid of pickles, and the pickle juice is more than half-way gone."
That's true... and there's a good reason for that. I have discovered that it's not enough for me to simply eat the pickles. It seems that drinking pickle juice has now become my new passion in life. I have to admit that I'm a little ashamed of my new addiction. How did I let things go this far? Where are those boundaries when you need them? I blame it on the hormones. Seriously, though, it's the yummiest thing that I've ever tasted these days.

oh, pickles... i love you so...

5 comments:

kris said...

that's hilarious about the pickles and pickle juice! you're right though, SUCH a cliche ;)

maribeth said...

okay, i cannot make fun of you, because i too have turned up many a jar of pickles and drank and drank and drank. it especially refreshing on the hot summer days of pregnancy, like the summer of 2004 when i was expecting carter. i loved pickles for as long as i can remember, but after experiencing pregnancy, i don't think i have ever loved pickles as much when not pregnant.

Southern Mama said...

I love your blog. I could learn a thing or two from you. How cute! We miss ya'll too.

jessica said...

Hey Jenn!
I'm so happy for you guys having a boy and I love the name!
Congrats and see you soon!
Jessica Spinosa :)

Medical Blog said...

I have quite the discriminating palate when it comes to pickles!

Related Posts with Thumbnails