Monday, January 12, 2009

mission organization

Today I'm linking up with Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick.
She's having an organizing party and I thought I'd post a couple of my organizing ideas.


We live in an itty bitty house, so closet space is at a premium. Since the weather here doesn't require a million different kinds of coats, we decided to put our coat closet to better use.

It's a craft closet now. Shocker.

David and I bought some wire shelving at Home Depot and installed a shelf for my Cricut and our printer.
I left some room on the side of the closet for my hanging gift bag holder and my standing gift wrap holder and bought two organizational towers to house all my crafting goodies.


My pretty crafting towers used to roll, but the wheels broke off.
SO SAD.
I think that I must have maxed out the weight requirement and the poor little wheels just couldn't take it.

Imagine that.

Now, instead of rolling my pretty towers out when my crafting buddies come over, I have to shove and shimmy them out. Not very graceful, but they still work like a champ.
___________________________

A few years ago, I saw this idea in Real Simple magazine. It's the perfect place to store all of those random things that need a home - you know, things that usually end up lost in a junk drawer? It's just a simple, cheap-o little shoe organizer, but I love that I can find my flashlight or USB cord now. It makes life a lot easier.

___________________________

This is Charlie's diaper bag. It's a Kalencom bag. My friend Maribeth introduced me to it. I love it and will never buy a different type of diaper bag ever again. That's how much I love it.

Anyway - It kind of doubles as my purse for now, so I thought I'd show you some of my ideas for organizing my diaper bag.

I don't know if you can tell or not, but I have a really great key chain that hooks on the outside of your purse. It has to be one of the best inventions ever (I know I say that a lot, but I mean it this time!). It's so nice to not have to fish around for my keys anymore.

This is my bag of goodies for when we are in waiting rooms or restaurants. Very necessary.


playdough
books
suckers
all you need for a quiet meal!

I got tired of never having bendy straws at restaurants for Avery. So - when I saw this idea in a parenting magazine, I was so thrilled. Now I keep bendy straws in a toothbrush holder so they don't get dirty or lost. It's been a lifesaver!

This is our mail sorter (I got it at Ballard Designs. Well worth the money). I prettied up some clothespins and labeled them to help organize our random papers better. It's worked really well for us. Because my camera STINKS, you can't read what the clothespins say, so I'll just tell you:
to file
receipts
bills
coupons
grocery coupons


That's it! Check out Sarah's blog to view more organizational ideas.

16 comments:

ellie mae said...

Love everything. I really like the idea of the shoe hanger? behind the door. That is just awesome. Great for those items you mentioned. Im looking for a way to organize my bills on the counter. I really like your box and clothspins. Very cute!

Domestic Goddess..Diva sometimes said...

What a great idea in putting straws in toothbrush holder! I may have to steal that idea. ;)

crazigirl80 said...

I also like the straw and over-the-door holder...seems to be quite popular in blogland :) I have a ? about your mail organizer...where did you find the organizer and also, what do your clips say? Thanks so much! BTW-Charlie is getting sooo big!

Anonymous said...

straw holder great idea, clothes pins too stinking cute!

Chablis said...

FANTASTIC diaper bag ideas! I really need to use those tips. I love the tassels and your winter block! Your a cute writer, you must just be plain cute!

SarahHub said...

I'm so doing that thing with the shoe organizer!

Jennifer said...

Super cute ideas! I need to get some suckers for my purse! lol

Samantha said...

Hi Jen, I'm a friend of Ellen and she recommended that I check out your blog - I love it!! And the goody bag for the diaper bag?.... I'm on a mission to make an official one now instead of just throwing the toys in the bag! :) Thanks for the great ideas!

brenda said...

What great ideas.
Playdough for restaurants...
I love this...children love it &
the staff can clean up the mess from the floor ;)

Straws in a toothbrush holder,
who thinks of these things?

Shoe bag...may never be used for shoes again, lol.
I've posted mine but know i have another one & am going to use it in my laundry room.

Thanks for sharing these great ideas.

brenda

Betsy said...

Wow those are some great ideas....I think I am so going to have to copy. Love the clothespins covered.

The Perkins Trio said...

LOVE this post :) I am always looking for ways to be organized. 'Cuz I'm usually not. Where did you find the keychain?? Love you guys!!!

cherry said...

Ahh you are a cricket girl too...they are so much fun. You asked about distressing? I use scrapbook inks most of the ti me. cherry

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Looks nice and clean and thatwould make me happy. Love your purse - definitely need something like that in mine!

misty said...

this is a great post! i love finding new ways to organize & you have some great ones!!!

never even thought about straws in the toothbrush holder... very clever! and the goody bag i do... those little play doughs come in handy... i always have some in the car, brock's backpack... need, need, need those things!!!

what i like the most are the clothespin that you have made pretty. you should consider making some & then selling them. i would be your first costumer!!! ha

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Oh my goodness! You are so way more organized than me. :) Awesome ideas! I am so glad you shared. I have been on a mission (bit of an obsession) to get mroe organized lately.

iris7531 said...

I am so impressed! I love your craft closet. The shoe hanger idea is awesome. I have a small house and can TOTALLY relate! Love the straw idea. My kids are older now, but that would have been a necessary item a few year ago.
Now that I my kids are older, if we go some where that they will get bored, I just pack my bag with gameboys, books, toys, etc!

Related Posts with Thumbnails