Monday, October 4, 2010

o-h-i-o

We have a house in another state.
I like to pretend that it's my Vacation house.
Only it's not. It's totally not.
It's our house.
That we still own.
3 1/2 years after we moved out.
ugh.

We have some really great renters in our house, but we decided that it was probably time to drive on up to Ohio to meet up with them and check out the condition of the house.

So - we headed out for the excruciatingly long drive last Thursday after preschool.
 All I have to say is, "Thank you God for portable DVD players."
And Diego.
The drive was totally exhausting...as we expected. But at least nobody puked. Before this trip, we were at 2-0 with the puking-in-the-car-business. This trip makes the score 2-1... so, goody for that!

Based on my previous adventures in the puke-mobile, I thought I'd offer a word or two of traveling advice: 
Always, always, always travel with a large towel in the car.
Always.
And be ready to grab a pair of spare clothes at a moment's notice.
And a bra.
And it's a good idea to have a couple of trash bags on hand.
And try not to be in the middle of a meal at CRACKER BARREL when your kid gets sick.
Because that really stinks.
Literally.

We made it - finally - and spent the next day doing a few of the things we loved about the city where Avery was born.

We went to visit the sweet, sweet school where I taught 1st grade for a few years to say "hello" to friends. Afterward, we went shopping in our favorite outdoor mall.

Avery requested a photo by the fountain. Where she posed. Of course.

The next day, we headed out to the COUNTRY LIVING FAIR.

Don't think I didn't plan this trip around it.
Because I totally did.
 Look at these cute little guys....
 Avery and Charlie loved them.
The weather was amazing and the vendors were so great.

I've decided that I have to go again next year...but not to the one in Ohio. Because the drive is murder.
The Fair, however, was awesome.

Of course, I saw a million things I would have loved to purchase, but the checkbook (and the fact that we're on track to call this guy next month and tell him that we're DEBT FREE) kept me from owning most of them.

I did get to buy a few little things though, and had a really great time looking around.

 After the Fair, we took the kiddos to our favorite ice cream store in Columbus...

It did not disappoint.
So yummy.

That night, we met with our Renters - who are totally fantastic.
I was so nervous to see our house again.
I worried that it wouldn't look the same... worried that I would be flooded with memories of happy times...worried that I would feel sad that we can't live in it.
But everything was great.
Our house looked amazing... the Renters love living there... they have a sweet, happy family...the house is full of love...
I couldn't have been more pleased...or more grateful.

Our meeting reminded me of God's promise from His Word that He will supply all of our needs.
He always does.
He always will.
He is so good to us.

The next day, we went to our favorite breakfast place in Columbus.
It was pretty packed, so David and I had to work our buns off to keep Avery and Charlie occupied while we waited for our breakfast.

Crayons help, but never really hold them off for more than 3.5 minutes.
Usually, singing and being silly will buy us some time -
It typically costs me my pride and the little bit of coolness that I have left, but it works. 

 
Avery chose the pancakes with whipped cream on top.
With the emphasis on the whipped cream.
 Then we decided to bust out the "building blocks".
Thankfully, the food came just before the major meltdowns commenced.

Avery got her whipped cream...and LOTS of it.

All was right with the world.
Until Charlie started throwing his pancakes.
Eating out with kids is never quite as fun as you think it will be, is it?

We did some more shopping before heading home on Monday morning.

On the way home, Avery helped David clean the windows.
 She did a pretty good job.
If the whole preschool thing doesn't work out for her, she'd definitely have a back-up gig.


 We took a break for dinner at Loveless Cafe in Nashville.
I love that place.
If you're ever in Nashville, you have to go there.

 Avery and Charlie really loved the gift shop.
And the guitar shaped fly swatters.

Can you tell that daddy plays guitar?

It took us 11 hours to get back home from Columbus.
For the record: It's NOT an 11 hour drive.
I've never been so happy to get out of the car.
But nobody puked... so I'd say the trip was a huge success.

6 comments:

Abbie Johnson said...

let us know before you call Dave so we can tune in! we don't get him here, so we will have to plan to listen online. Congrats!

Tiffany said...

Awww, I so wish we could have met. Where did you used to teach in Columbus? Was that outdoor mall Easton? And what was the ice cream place??? Did I already know that you used to live in Columbus? I totally grew up there. Have we already talked about this? It is very possible since I seem to have completely lost my mind when I had Mia? : )

HollyDays said...

Jen....it was SO wonderful to see you in Columbus! What a great suprise to see you and meet your kiddos!!!! Glad your visit was a super success! Hope to see you again SOON.

Colored With Memories said...

oh wow! that is a long trip.

so glad the puke score could be evened up soon!

kerry

izzy said...

What an enjoyable and meaningful trip. Your kids are so blessed <3

Anonymous said...

Car sickness creates those memories you'd rather do without. My daughter used to travel fine on flat land but as soon as we'd hit the mountains she'd wake up and cover the car. A friend loaned us a pair of motion sickness bracelets and they work amazinly well -- Terry cloth bands with a plastic bump that goes over the pressure point on the inside of the wrists. You can get them at Rite Aid, Walgreens etc near the meds for motion sickness. 10 years of pleasant car rides. We forgot to pack them this past summer but didn't worry too much because we figured she'd outgrown it. Not so... but she had learned how to aim into a bag. We restocked for the rest of the trip and keep spares available in lots of places now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails